Sunday, April 19, 2009

Marketing - Company Image And Branding

Okay, this is going to seem like a strange comparison to some but it spoke very clearly to me - and I found it rather funny. To be honest, I am not sure if this is the right way or the wrong way to brand your company and product.

Along with everyone else in Oklahoma, I've been dealing with severe allergies this past week. Friday night, I think, I got into my Mamasan chair to watch something on TV. I promptly dozed off and when I woke up, ShopErotica's paid programming happened to be on. ShopErotica is an online store that sells adult toys. (You'll have to look the link up yourself since I don't want a bunch of spam on my computer, sorry.) I'm not sure which channel was airing it since I just moved in as a live-in caretaker three weeks ago and these folks have satellite that I'm not yet familiar with. Not much time for TV around here anyway.

I was still too groggy to get up and get into bed, so I watched for a few minutes. What caught my sleepy mind's attention more than the products was the appearance of the female hosts. The show was first hosted by a pretty woman named Miyoko who was wearing dark plastic-framed eyeglasses and a modest and demure little sweater. She looked a bit like a schoolteacher.

She was joined by Andrea, who I remember from one season of VH-1's The Surreal Life and I believe worked as the naked weather girl on the Playboy channel? Maybe she still is.

If Miyoko looked like a schoolteacher, Andrea looked very much the church lady with a black dress with a little lace collar, very Victorian. Neither of these attractive women appeared to be wearing an ounce of makeup or jewelry.

They constantly emphasized that the company respects and protects its customers' privacy. Not only in the standard "discreet" packaging but also that for call-in orders, there are separate toll-free numbers for each gender. The female line will be answered by a female and the males would find another male answering their calls as well.

Okay, I got the point and while I completely agree that what we have in our bedrooms are none of anybody's business, the physical appearance and demeanor of the sales reps struck me as absolutely hilarious. I know that they were trying to say that schoolteachers and church ladies need sex toys, too, but this was really leaning to the extreme.

As I was turning the TV off to get into bed for the rest of the night, I noticed that another show was coming on. I was curious to see whether it would be different so I stuck around for a minute. Miyoko still had her glasses and demure outfit, not much change. This time, Andrea wore a messy ponytail with jeans and a t-shirt. This image was slightly better than the last one, but I still think that the company failed to find a balance in their presentation.

Now that I've said all of that, I'm also not sure that I know what the answer would be. I think I'd go with the jeans and t-shirt look. For a dressier look, I think I'd go with a sharp, very stylish suit rather than the traditional look, a fashionable dress or the jeans and t-shirt. The clothing should be what any individual would wear to work or at home - or even to church, but that lace collar has got to go!

I will give them high marks for the presentation. Andrea and Miyoko described and demonstrated the toys as if they were marketing cookware, and having females host the show is probably a better choice than male hosts.

Have you given much thought to your branding and image? How do you think you and your product are coming across?

Just something to think about this week. Be well and be blessed.

Speaking of fashion, check out my newest store:

Recessionista - Fashion Under $25





I joined this traffic exchange several months ago and hadn't surfed much until recently. I am very impressed with the number of credits I earn as a free member! You need to join this one, now:


Your 1:1 Traffic Exchange



I learned about this affiliate program from another Pyrabang member. It may be worth your while to check it out:

Start Your Health And Beauty Business




,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment